The geographical position of Panama in the narrowest point of the Central American isthmus strategically connects the countries of the world especially those with commercial activities in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The accessibility provided by the Panama Canal competitively binds all global markets, mainly Asia, Europe, North and South America.
The main trade routes with traffic in the Panama Canal are:
- East Coast of U.S.A. and Asia (Far East)
- East Coast of U.S.A. and West Coast of South America
- Europe and West Coast of South America
- East Coast of U.S.A and West Coast of Central America
- Coast to Coast of South America
These main routes, along with other that use the waterway, reported for the 2022 fiscal year a total of 518,173 PC/UMS net tonnage, representing an increase of 0.4% compared with 2021.
 PC/UMS is the Panama Canal Universal Measurement System. This amount also includes the PC/UMS tonnages for container and passenger vessels.