Balboa

Across the Panama Canal, we find the port of Balboa located at its Pacific entrance. Balboa was inaugurated in 1909, after receiving its present name, formerly known as Ancon Port. It was refurbished by the Americans at the beginning of the construction of the Canal from an old French dockage area.

At the moment, Balboa is the only container terminal fully operating in the country to serve the many shipping lines for loading, discharging and transshipping operations from the Pacific basin to the region.

Location

Balboa has an ideal location to grow as a hub for cargo, connecting major liner services from Far East and North America to the West Coast of South America, Central and the Caribbean. 

With a total area of 30 hectare for container storage and 5 container berths, Balboa operates with 25 quay cranes(10 Post Panamax, 8 Panamax and 7 Super Post Panamax), and 47 RTGs. The transshipment operations of containerized cargo represent 92.8% of total the container movement while the rest is for the local market. A nearby interface with the railroad company allows the transshipment of containers bound to ports in Colon. Balboa also receives and dispatches dry and liquid bulks and specialized cargo, and offers a total of 3,612 reefer connections.